||Fixed term (R...
||Mar 31, 2017
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), is an international non-profit research organization. Based in New Haven, CT, with offices in Washington, D.C. and worldwide, IPA works with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches to solving development problems, to communicate “what works” in development and to scale up successful projects in a variety of fields, including health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture. IPA has been in Ghana since 2008, and it is now one of IPA’s largest country offices, with a permanent team of more than 50 staff managing and supporting 30 active research projects.
Reports to: Deputy Country Director
Job Code: SPIA-AGR-2412017
IPA Ghana seeks a Senior Policy and Implementation Associate who will manage policy work and support implementation activities on a portfolio of agriculture projects, including, but not limited to the Disseminating Innovative Resources and Technologies to Smallholders (DIRTS) project. Lead Principal Investigators on these studies include Dean Karlan and Christopher Udry of Yale University. The role involves policy engagements with the current project partners and other sector stakeholders for successful dissemination of research findings. The Senior Policy and Implementation Associate will be expected to contribute significantly to the development of new
research projects, ensuring that these can effectively inform policy debates in the agriculture sector in Ghana. Furthermore, he/she will be involved in supporting the implementation of ongoing projects. The position is based in Accra, with frequent travel to the north.
The Senior Policy and Implementation Associate will report to the Deputy Country Director. He/she will have a diverse set of responsibilities in the following areas:
Partner relations and policy outreach
- Take lead in promoting dissemination events related to IPA’s agriculture projects, in cooperation with the IPA Ghana Policy Team;
- In collaboration with the researchers and IPA’s communication team, produce a wide range of communication materials aimed at effectively sharing research findings and data with relevant stakeholders;
- Support the development of new research projects in the agriculture sector, which can effectively contribute to policy debates and scale up of programs with a proven positive impact on the livelihoods of farmers in Ghana;
- Liaise with stakeholders in the local and national government, fellow research institutions and NGOs, among others, to give project results greater visibility, share lessons learned, and establish new partnerships;
- Ensure findings and outcomes from partner/stakeholder meetings reach relevant staff (management and project staff) in both IPA Ghana offices;
- Facilitate the dissemination of agriculture projects’ findings internally at IPA;
- Keep agriculture-related policy information updated in IPA’s knowledge management systems;
- Contribute to the planning of potential scale up initiatives and follow-on research, building on the evidence generated and lessons learnt on the current projects, in collaboration with the researchers and management.
- Supervise agricultural programs implemented by IPA, when relevant, or provide support to outside implementing partners.
- Develop and oversee monitoring systems for agricultural programs implemented and/or evaluated by IPA
- Ensure adherence to research design, integrity of implementation, and adherence to budget and donor requirements
Employment period: 1 year renewable
Proposed start date: immediately
Required Skills or Experience
- Fluency in English and excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Prior experience working in the areas of agriculture / rural development;
- Prior exposure and an existing network in the agriculture sector in Ghana – exposure to Northern Ghana preferred;
- Master’s degree in agronomy, agricultural extension, agribusiness, agricultural economics, or related field;
- Excellent management and organizational skills;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Experience conducting research or working in a research environment is highly preferred;
- Experience in project design and proposal development is a plus;
- Team player with superior communication skills, both verbal and written ;
- Ability to create and nurture a network of high level relationships;
- Great attention to detail, prioritize and multitask;
- Quantitative skills are a plus
How To Apply
- Please fill out the online application form by clicking the link below:
Snr Policy & Impl Associate-Agric-Application Form
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
- Due to the high volume of applications received by IPA, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by email or phone for an interview.
- Candidates who have applied for similar positions with IPA within the last 6 months are not eligible to apply.
DISCLAIMER: Please note that IPA will never require monetary compensation as part of its application process. Any requests for monetary compensation by persons claiming to be IPA employees or persons claiming to represent IPA should be disregarded and reported. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
Please note, employers receive numerous applications per posting. As such, employers will only shortlist the most qualified candidates for their posting. Also
Jobsinghana.com is not involved in any decision made by an employer/recruiter and therefore does not guarantee that applications sent
by job seekers will result in that candidate being shortlisted/selected for that position.