||Jan 19, 2017
Reports to: Country Director
The Director for Finance and Office Operations will provide overall finance and administrative expertise and management to the Ghana country office. This includes accesses the adequacy and recommends appropriate internal control systems to reduce associated risks in Jhpiego’s country office. The Director for Finance and Office Operations will provide guidance, training, and compliance oversight in the areas of financial management, subrecipient monitoring, procurement, and other operational areas, as needed. He/She will work closely with senior management, finance and administration, and human resources to ensure compliance with Jhpiego, the Johns Hopkins University, and donor regulations. He/She also oversees all large procurement, renovation processes, and MOUs and local sub-agreements. Under the direction of Jhpiego’s CFO and Deputy CFO for Program Finance, he/she will ensure financial system and reports are compatible with standard Jhpiego accounting practices
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Planning and Implementation
- Manage the effective utilization of Jhpiego’s financial management system to ensure accurate financial tracking and reporting and ensure compliance with Jhpiego policies, donor and legal requirements.
- Review policies, procedures and systems to ensure effective internal controls are in place and are adhered to.
- Review and monitoring of the financial records of implementing partners.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and/or annual reports as needed.
- Examines financial documents such as payroll, vouchers, invoices, delivery notes, purchase orders and other documents to ensure the completeness, accuracy, and validity of financial data before making payments.
- Develops proposal budgets for business development for review by Baltimore in accordance with donor requirements.
- Designs and implements sound internal controls by implementing recommendations from compliance reviews
- Implements and guide staff on policies and procedures and lead trainings, as needed
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Review of QBE monthly financial reports and any other reports before submission to Baltimore.
- Ensures sound accounting records
- Regularly reviews QBE: review of balance sheet, aging analysis, detailed GL, expenditure by ION, advance balance to ensure costs are allowable and reasonable
- Review monthly QBE replenishment request
- Assist program staff to develop work plans and annual operational budgets for programs and the office costs.
- Leads the development, monitoring, and review of project budgets
- Reviews monthly financial analysis and budget vs expense reports to determine reasonableness of variances and take appropriate actions, as required
- Ensures reasonableness of financial projections
- Preparation of burn rates and review of program expenditure with respective program managers on a monthly basis.
- Provide financial and accounting technical advice to all Jhpiego programs for effective program implementation.
Cash and Bank Management
- Monitors disbursement of funds from the project bank account(s) to ensure compliance with Jhpiego’s financial policies and procedures as outlined in the Jhpiego Finance and Accounting policies manual for country offices, banking policy, QBE Manual, Procurement Manual, and any other policies.
- Reviews a sample of expense reports and other project expenses on a day-to-day basis to ensure adequate documentation, allowability, allocability and reasonability.
- Ensure sufficient funds are available at all times to meet project needs
- Closely monitors cash flow and assures budgets are followed so spending is on track
- Reviews disbursements and payroll for authenticity and accuracy
- Notifies Jhpiego/Baltimore on changes needed to bank signatures
- Serves as Jhpiego’s liaison with banking officials
- Ensure financial records are properly maintained and readily available during audits
- Ensure that in-country legal and statutory requirements (i.e. registration, VAT/Tax reporting, filing tax returns, business licenses etc.) are fully complied
- Collaborate with internal and external auditors and ensure prompt implementation of their recommendations (serve as the Audit Manager)
- Drafts responses to audit findings and follow-up on the implementation of audit recommendations
- Review and advise on legal matters including leases, sub agreements and contracts.
- Ensures implementation of sound administrative systems and processes to ensure smooth functioning of the country and field offices
- Ensures assets and inventories are well maintained and annual physical verifications are undertaken
- Manages office lease agreements and other contracted vendor agreements
- Overseas the integrity of the procurement process especially the identification and establishment of preferred vendors.
- Review various financial monitoring tools like the purchase order log, airfare and airport transfers log, motor vehicle log, etc. on a regular basis.
- Manages the IT team and ensure there is adequate IT support and resources as needed
Coordination, Networking and Representation
- Serves as a member of the senior management team
- Advise senior leadership regularly on financial and operations-related matters
- Provide supervision, guidance and mentorship of staff and ensure team spirit within the finance team.
- Administer sub-agreements, draft award documents, monitor of grants payments and the compliance to award terms and conditions.
- In collaboration with the Grants and Compliance Officer, review milestones and invoices for reimbursement
- Provides assistance, as needed, to local subgrantees on financial compliance and reporting
- Document the process by which sub-grantees are selected for awards and the implementation status of activities
- Review of budgets for partner sub-agreements and recipient monthly financial reports.
- Working closely with the Grants and Compliance Officer, train new subgrantees in the terms of award documents, rules and regulations, financial accounting standards, and financial reporting.
Record Keeping and Reporting
- Ensure adequate and organized record keeping of all project activities including plans, implementation progress, workshops, supervision visits and training
- Oversees the financial reporting process to donors
- Share records with relevant stakeholders and team members, as needed
- Ensure timely and adequate communication between MCSP and all Jhpiego projects and departments office in Accra and headquarters.
NOTE: All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to:
- Model the Jhpiego mission and values
- Participate in the business development process
- Contribute to the knowledge sharing and transfer process
- Make responsible decisions that result in time and cost containment and clear accountability
- Participate in multiple teams, adopt team spirit, take responsibility for action items assigned and provide feedback as needed
- Multitask, be able to manage competing priorities and be able to prioritize in order to meet program and/or organizational objectives
Required Skills or Experience
- An honor's degree accounting, finance, business administration or equivalent.
- Qualified accountant with CPA (K), ACCA or equivalent.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of post-qualification experience in financial management with at least 5 years in a senior position in a reputable NGO or development agency.
- Ability to analyze financial data, create and track budgets and set-up and maintain financial management systems
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing and to confidently engage with high ranking government and donor partners.
- Trustworthy and track record of impeccable integrity.
- Conversant with USAID financial guidelines/regulations.
- In-depth working knowledge of QBE
- Financial and computer skills – working knowledge of database applications, word processing and Excel, as well as experience with accounting software
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented and high degree of accuracy;
- Strong analytical skills and sound judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff and partners.
- Good oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate findings and analyses
- Be cooperative, hardworking, flexible & dependable.
- Pleasant, warm and outgoing personality.
- Be of high integrity and have a sense of confidentiality
- Be willing to take on extra responsibilities in order to achieve the goals/objectives set by the organization
- Capability to develop and implement effective strategies and tactics for accomplishing assigned duties
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Be self-motivated, proactive and have a positive attitude to work requiring minimum supervision.
- Be able to supervise staff and ensure teamwork.
- Ability to mentor staff and support their professional development
- Ability to manage confidential matters discreetly
- Ability to manage staff effectively in a complex and changing environment
- Experience working with USAID or USG; in-depth knowledge of USG rules and regulations; experience working with other donors
- Experience in developing and implementing administrative systems in areas of procurement, asset management, office operations etc.
How To Apply
Sorry, job has expired.
Please note, employers receive numerous applications per posting. As such, employers will only shortlist the most qualified candidates for their posting. Also
Jobsinghana.com is not involved in any decision made by an employer/recruiter and therefore does not guarantee that applications sent
by job seekers will result in that candidate being shortlisted/selected for that position.